Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mama Rants Again

I have a new rant that I really need to just get out of my head, so here goes !
*warning* this is not meant to offend anyone -- especially you Jay Haugh !! Love ya man !

Ok. So many people say to me things like "i like to cook, but nothing ever tastes good or quite right! or "I thought it would be much better than it was, I guess I just don't have the cooking gene!" I have been milling these thoughts over for awhile and here is what I came up with.

THE FOOD YOU MAKE WILL ONLY BE AS GOOD AS THE INGREDIENTS YOU PUT IN!!!

That is to say, if you use generic brand ingred. or the cheapest ones, then guess what my friends.....it will taste that way. I'm not saying that I only buy the best of the best.....although I would pefer to, I just try to get my hands on the best ingred. without breaking the bank. I'm saying that it's worth the extra .50 when it's all said and done. Especially if it is a meal that you want to impress with. So when im at the markert and I see that there is a deal on the "good" canned tomatoes, I buy them in bulk when they are on sale. i.e. muir glenn fire roasted tomatoes. Same thing with pasta. Pretty much anything that I can store for a long period of time. Nor do I substitute the real thing for a less fat/fat free version. I know, I know....say what you want, but I would rather eat less of something that tastes delicious, then a normal portion of something that tastes generic. Just eat less my firends and you'll be fine!

In my opinion here are the things that I will NEVER by with a generic label or store brand label.
1. Unsalted Butter - NOT MARGARINE
2. Chedder Cheese (generic is just plain gross!)
3. Olive Oil
4. Parm Cheese
5. Meat or seafood (any kind and in any form!)
6. Dried Pasta
7. Bread (unless it's for a PB & J...the kids just don't care)

You might read this a say to yourself "wow, she really has her nose up in the air when it comes to food!" To that, I would say "It's just a matter of taste!" So next time your at the market, choose a few ingred. of higher quality, that will last you a long time and slowly build yourself a pantry worthy of the ingredients it will house!

Be Well, Eat Well !!!

5 comments:

  1. Ok. Now I'm wishing I hadn't said how much I like to buy Wal-Mart cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey if it's cheese you like and you can save a few $$ than I say use it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mama! I did not know you had this blog going. I love food...this blog may be my new 2010 addiction.

    I agree with your comments to an extent. I find that the flavors that are called for in the recipe to stand out or hat we personally want to stand out need to be of a certain quality. So that is what we need to strive for and he only way to do this and know is to try them or talk to someone who has.

    A lot of what you pay on a brand is the cost of marketting that brand. A lot of the generic products are manyfactured by some of those big brands and are, in fact, the same product just cost less.

    I do grant this, cheese is NOT one of those things. I like a particular kind of parmesan cheese, shreadded and strong. Karen LOVES the Kraft pulverized stuff...it's a matter of taste.

    The moral of my counter-rant, Mama, is that research and looking at the labels give a clue to who does the do in the zoo. trial and error is still the most empirical way to know what does the trick.

    I used to be one of those people that said "I have to left feet" when it comes to cooking. Then my wife taught me some basic techniques for proper cooking. One year, for my birthday present (or was it Christmas present? I can't tell they are both the same friggin' day!) she who most be revered and obeyed (even when she buys pets that you clearly said you did not want...where was I???...oh, yeah...)gave me a book by Jamie Oliver called "Cook with Jamie:My Guide to Make You A Better Cook". This book is for those cooking challenged. I learned a lot from this book, took his recipes and twisted them to make them my own. So there's my 2 cents...go out there and cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, yes I agree. Trial and error is what makes for a better dish. I love Jamie Oliver aka the naked chef! Feel free to post your rib reciepe here brother...yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete